Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I wish I were German

"If the best a composer can be is dead, the next best thing he can be is German. One of the worst things he can possibly be, still, is American."
And yup just my luck I was born in Philly on May 10th, 1916. I attended New York University as well as Princeton, and I taught at the latter school. I also taught at the Julliard School. (Yes I like children).
I should talk about my musical style. Most would call it weird. I like to experiment. As a child, I played a lot of jazz. I also wrote some pop songs. But then I decided to work with electronic music (like a lot of the other composers who are writing on this blog! I'd tell you who, but I don't want to spoil it). I worked on the first programmable synthesizer, the Mark II. And, NO, I am NOT a minimalist! If anything, I would call myself a maximalist.
Yeah, not trying to brag or anything, but I got a Pulitzer in 1982 and a MacArthur Genius Grant in 1986.
Unfortunately all good things come to an end and I died at a ripe old age of 94 on January 29th, 2011.
-Milton Babbitt
p.s. Isn't my last name so amazing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment