Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Movie Man

My name is John Williams. I was born in New York on February 8th 1932. In 1948, I moved with my family to Los Angeles. I attended UCLA, and then served in the Air Force. Then I moved to New York to attend the Julliard School (where one of the other blogging composers worked!) and worked as a jazz pianist there (in NY that is). I returned to Los Angeles and began working with movies. I worked with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. I have also acted as guest conductor with lots of major orchestras, such as  the Cleveland Orchestra, the Philadelphia Orchestra, the Los Angeles Philharmonic, the London Symphony, and more. I hold honorary degrees from fourteen universities, like Boston College, Northeastern University, Tufts University, Boston University, the New England Conservatory of Music and the University of Massachusetts at Boston (lots of Boston in my career, eh?) . I wrote many film scores and many pieces of music for movies, including many many many famous and well-loved (some classics) ones today such as Saving Private Ryan, Amistad, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, the Indiana Jones trilogy, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, and Superman. I won an Oscar and a Grammy for my work in Schindler's List. 
Piece:
Star Wars Trilogy: Star Wars theme song: first released 1977
John Williams 

No comments:

Post a Comment