Wednesday, February 13, 2013

(I'm not creative)... STEVE REICH

I noticed one of my quotes is on the top of this blog.... good choice :)
Note: I keep having trouble deciding whether a blog is formal or informal writing... lets just see how it goes.
Anyway down to business. My name is Stephen Reich- do call me Steve, thank you. I was born in New York on October 3rd, 1936. I spent most of my childhood traveling back and forth from New York to California and vice versa. I graduated from Cornell in 1957 with a degree in philosophy. When I began writing my own music, I liked to combine instruments with recordings of peoples' voices, such as in Different Trains. I was also very interested in African music.
In 1966 I organized the Steve Reich Ensemble which traveled around the world for several years, performing.
Unlike some people (ehhem ehhem), I would call myself a minimalist.
(Oh by the way I'm not dead yet!) 

Piece:
The Cave: 1994
-Steve Reich

No comments:

Post a Comment